The course is available on three CDs that can be purchased together or separately. You can choose the graded option or the non-graded option. The syllabus for the course details each of the sixteen lessons. The lessons cover each of the major genealogical record types, source citation, and evidence analysis.
For each lesson there is reading material, a self-grading quiz, and a practical assignment to complete. These practical assignments give students experience in working with records and repositories. This is one of the elements that makes this course such a valuable educational opportunity.
The highlights of the Home Study Course include:
- Assignments that provide experience with research on the Internet and in libraries, courthouses, and archives
- Instruction on using a variety of genealogical records
- Experience analyzing documents and citing sources
- Self-correcting exams for each lesson
- An online mail list where you can ask questions and receive help
I have completed the NGS Home Study course and found it to be a very useful course for learning genealogical records, and I would recommend this course to others. This course also fulfills the prerequisite for attending advanced courses at genealogical institutes such as IGHR.